A brief introduction of subconjunctival hemorrhage
Article Tags: subconjunctival hemorrhage
Also known as hyposphagma, subconjunctival hemorrhage has a conspicuous appearance. It typically refers to the bleeding underneath the conjunctiva. It is well-known that the conjunctiva contains many fragile blood vessels. Subconjunctival hemorrhage just describes the condition where some blood vessels are ruptured or broken. In this case, blood leaks into the space between the conjunctiva and sclera.
Eye redness is the standard symptom
The most common symptom of subconjunctival hemorrhage is red eyes. Eye redness is directly caused by blood vessels breakage that is beneath the tissues covering the conjunctiva, which also explains the name of subconjunctival hemorrhage. Since red eye can be a sign of many other eye diseases, it is necessary to visit an eye doctor at once if eye redness is accompanied by other vision problems such as blurry vision, eye pain and light sensitivity.
A variety of factors may be causes
Some potential causes of subconjunctival hemorrhage include eye trauma, blood thinners (such as aspirin and warfarin), blood clotting disorder and vitamin K deficiency. Another possible reason is a sudden increase in blood pressure that is caused possibly heavy lifting, coughing, sneezing, laughing or constipation. Moreover, subconjunctival hemorrhage may also be caused by severe hypertension, LASIK surgery or severe thoracic trauma.
Some remedies are recommended
A subconjunctival hemorrhage often dissipates on its own after seven to ten days of hemorrhage and leaves a color change in the affected area. During its active days, it is possible to take some ways to make a remedy. Firstly, never rub the affected eye, in case of a re-bleeding. Secondly, discontinue taking blood thinners such as aspirin after asking the doctor for an approval. Thirdly, lubricant artificial tears can be applied to comfort the eyes.
- Can dry eyes cause subconjunctival hemorrhage?
- Can contacts cause subconjunctival hemorrhage?
- Can glaucoma cause subconjunctival hemorrhage
- Can subconjunctival hemorrhage cause blindness?
- Can high blood pressure cause subconjunctival hemorrhage?
- Can pink eye cause subconjunctival hemorrhage?
- Do eye drops help subconjunctival hemorrhage ?
- Does subconjunctival hemorrhage go away?
- What does subconjunctival hemorrhage look like?
- How long does a subconjunctival hemorrhage takes to heal?